In 1852, the founders of the Church of the Messiah held their first meeting in a local school house. That October, a summer resident of Woods Hole, Joseph Story Fay, donated three acres of land for a church building. Two years later, on February 14, 1854, the first church was consecrated.
In 1887, the Vestry accepted another gift from Mr. Fay to build a stone church. The new church was built on the site of the original church, which was moved to its current location…50 yards to the north! The Stone Church construction began in 1888, and the church was consecrated by Bishop Paddock in 1889.
To this day, we carry on the vision and faith of our founders, welcoming all, no matter where they are in their spiritual journey.