The Church of the Messiah was founded in 1852 thanks in part to a group of twenty-five individuals including Episcopalians Jeremiah Hopkins and Joseph Story Fay who were responsible for organizing efforts to bring the first Episcopal church to Cape Cod. Aside from Mr. Hopkins and Mr. Fay, the remainder of the group were Congregationalist or Methodist.
Joseph Story Fay was Woods Hole’s first summer resident and continued to play a very important role in the Church as one of its largest benefactors. The original wooden church was built in 1852 and was located where the Stone Church now sits. The Church of the Messiah utilized the building until 1888 when the Stone Church was constructed by Joseph Story Fay (the building was designed by W.P. Wentworth of Boston). The wooden church was moved a few hundred feet from its original location and served as the Parish House prior to the building of the Fisher House (named for Reverend George Fisher).
The First Church renovation is now underway and Church of the Messiah will have a brand-new Parish and Community Center. You can read more about the project and capital campaign HERE.